Shelf life of rubber is a simple question with a complex answer.Shelf life is a rather broad term that can mean different things to different companies and/or people.
Shelf Life of Rubber.
Shelf life is a rather broad term that can mean different things to different companies and/or people. There are published tables that list the recommended shelf life for various polymers. These tables are only a guide for the following reasons:
The Shelf life of a particular polymer is highly dependent on the actual compound and the physical properties expected from that compound after X number of years.
- The environmental conditions under which the specific compound is stored affects shelf life.
- Some of these storage conditions are: temperature, humidity, source of light if any, oxygen and ozone exposure, deformation, contact with foreign materials during storage such as liquids, semi-solid materials, metal, and non-metal materials.
- Further it should be noted that shelf life relates only to the functional use of the compound over a period of time when properly stored. It does not relate to how the material may or may not perform in any specific application.
With the above in mind, it is important not to confuse
Shelf Life with Service Life.
Shelf Life relates to storage only. It is separate and distinct from Service Life. Storage conditions as detailed above will affect not only the Shelf Life but also the Service Life of a specific rubber formulation.
Have a Technical Question?
“Ask John” is Monmouth’s global technical support service. It is FREE and brings real value to your company. It allows Monmouth’s customers and visitors to have a 24/7 Technical Library & Test lab, absolutely FREE. Have a technical question or problem? Just contact John Bonforte Sr or click here.
Monmouth Rubber & Plastics Products:
Closed Cell Sponge Rubber and Plastic Foam – Click
Open Cell Sponge Rubber and Plastic Foam – Click
Solid Rubber and Plastic Sheeting – Click
Recyled Composites of Rubber and Plastic – Click
Shelf Life of Durafoam™ Products:
The Shelf Life of both our cellular and solid rubber & plastic materials has been studied over the past 20+ years. The following is a guide as to the Shelf Life of Monmouth’s products.
- When properly stored, that is not exposed to the negative storage variables listed above; the Shelf Life of Monmouth’s products are minimum of at least one year.
- The Durafoam™ DK series, specifically DK1111, DK2121, DK3131, DK4141, and DK5151 have been stored at room temperature, out of direct light, for 15+ years with no visible degradation.
- Physical property testing for density, compression deflection and color change show no statistically significant change as it relates to these 15 year old retains.
- Further information and clarification as it relates to Shelf Life requires a detailed requirement in writing as to all the test parameters required so that we can give a more specific answer to your shelf life concerns.
Monmouth Rubber and Plastics
Cut It. Coat It. Form it. It will do just about anything you want it to do.
Whether you’re looking for open cell sponge rubber, solid sheeting or closed cell plastic foam, you can count on Monmouth Rubber & Plastics to deliver the materials you want.
- REQUEST SAMPLES Rubber & plastic foam materials Read more>
- FREE TECH SUPPORT Global support and Solutions Read more>
- TRASH FOR CASH Recycling Program Read more>
- “ASK JOHN” – Q&A With John Bonforte, Sr. Read more>
- IN THE NEWS Monmouth Rubber & Plastics Read more>
- TECHNICAL LITERATUREArticles, Releases & Data Sheets Read more>
- CONVERSION TOOLS Variety of different measurements.Read more>
- PRICING & SALES SUPPORTCall or write us Read more>
Monmouth Rubber & Plastics
MANUFACTURER AND GLOBAL PROVIDER OF:
Intl: +1 732-229-3444 | Toll Free: (800) 375-1960
Team Monmouth’s commitment is to bring ongoing value to our customers. We constantly strive to improve products and services that meet your needs and exceed your expectations. Please select one of our team members below to discuss how we can help you!
Our 50 year history in rubber and plastics manufacturing provides vital stability in a constantly changing rubber industry.
Companies know they can rely on Monmouth Rubber & Plastics.